In October 2019, Bayer AG told the press that the number of plaintiffs suing the company for Roundup®-related injuries had more than doubled during the third quarter of 2019. By October 30, 2019, approximately 42,700 people alleged that they got cancer from Roundup products and had filed lawsuits against Bayer seeking damages. As more people who used Roundup are diagnosed with non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma, additional plaintiffs may come forward.
The significant increase in Roundup lawsuits, three significant court losses for Bayer in Roundup cases, and the potential financial vulnerability in pending cases led to speculation that Bayer might be interested in settling Roundup claims. As of December 2019, mediation talks were underway between Bayer and various plaintiffs, but it was unclear whether a settlement would be reached or whether the cases scheduled for 2020 and beyond would go to court.
Should You File a Roundup Lawsuit?
Glyphosate, the primary ingredient in Roundup products, is “probably carcinogenic to humans,” according to the World Health Organization. There is no known amount of glyphosate that is safe. If you used or were regularly exposed to Roundup weed killers and you develop non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma, then your cancer may have been caused by glyphosate exposure.
You may have a legal case, and you should consider protecting your right to a financial recovery by contacting a Roundup injury lawyer as soon as possible. If you can convince the court that your cancer was caused by Roundup exposure, as other plaintiffs have done, then you may recover significant damages. Your damages may include compensation for past and future:
- Medical costs. Non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma typically requires additional medical monitoring. Additionally, your treatment may consist of chemotherapy, radiation therapy, bone marrow transplants, clinical trials, and other treatments. According to the Mayo Clinic, alternative medicine such as art therapy and music therapy may also be helpful for some patients.
- Lost income. During treatment and as your cancer progresses, you may be unable to work or unable to work as much as you did before you got sick. You may suffer a significant loss of income.
- Physical pain and emotional suffering. Physical pain from your cancer and treatment may be significant. You may also suffer emotionally if you are anxious about your health or unable to do the things you enjoyed before your cancer diagnosis.
- Other losses. Any other damages that are directly related to your non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma may be compensated in a Roundup lawsuit.
Additionally, your damages may include punitive damages that are designed to punish Bayer if the court finds that the company acted with gross negligence.
Things to Discuss With a Roundup Lawyer
Not everyone with non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma will have a successful case against Bayer. However, if you’ve been exposed to Roundup at home or work and you have non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma, then you should talk to a Roundup lawyer about:
- How often you used Roundup and where you used it
- Your medical diagnosis and prognosis
- How Roundup cases work
- What to expect from your lawyer as your case progresses
- The potential damages you may recover
Our lawyers want you to be comfortable with us and confident in your legal representation. We offer face-to-face free consultations for Roundup injury victims so that you can ask us all of your questions and so that we can provide you honest and accurate information about your legal rights.
Now Is the Time to Contact a Roundup Injury Attorney
Since mediation talks are underway, a settlement could be reached at any time. While Bayer has sent mixed signals about settling Roundup cases, the company has a financial interest in ending the financial uncertainty of future Roundup court verdicts.
Therefore, if you have non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma or another form of cancer from Roundup exposure, then now is the time to take action. You can get started right now by contacting Keefe Disability Law for a free, no-obligation consultation. Let’s talk about your Roundup exposure, your cancer diagnosis, and your legal rights so that you can make the decision that is right for you. Call us, start a live chat with us, or fill out our online contact form so that we can contact you to get started.