I have a son with Down syndrome who is about to turn 18. He has always worked hard in school and now wants to work at a job and get his own apartment in Boston. Can he find a job and is there any financial help for him to achieve his goals?

You should be proud of the job you have done raising your son. It sounds like he has a great attitude and plenty of support from his family. In short, the answer to your question is yes. Many people with Down syndrome are successfully employed all over the country, although they may not be able to work full-time and often receive low wages for their efforts. 

For these reasons, the Social Security Administration (SSA) disability program offers two types of assistance for citizens with Down syndrome: Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) and Supplemental Security Income (SSI). As a disability lawyer in Massachusetts, John Keefe represents claimants for both types of assistance.

SSDI provides benefits to disabled workers all over the country. Applicants for SSDI must be at least 18 years of age and be able to prove their disability through medical records.

SSI is a special government program for disabled workers who are in extreme financial need. Your son, depending on his current and future earnings, might qualify for either of these two government assistance programs.

In order to get started applying for New England disability with and for your son, your best bet is to contact a specialist in disability law. With over 70% of all initial SSA disability applications being denied and some cases dragging on for over two-and-a-half years, a lawyer can smooth the road and make sure you avoid mistakes that could slow the process for you and your son.

Call Keefe Disability Law today toll free at 888-904-6847 to find out what we can do for you.
John L. Keefe
Connect with me
Founding Attorney, Massachusetts Social Security Disability Lawyer