A lawsuit won’t change your Parkinson’s disease diagnosis, but a successful legal claim may improve your life in two essential ways. First, a settlement or court verdict may provide you with the money you need to get medical treatment and live comfortably. Second, your recovery may hold paraquat’s manufacturers accountable for your injuries and encourage herbicide companies to consider the health effects of their products more carefully.
The Connection Between Paraquat and Parkinson’s Disease
The United States government, through the National Institutes of Health, and studies published in well-respected medical journals, including JAMA Neurology, have found that paraquat can change the human brain and cause Parkinson’s disease.
New England farmers, groundskeepers, landscapers, and others may have been exposed to enough paraquat to interfere with dopamine in the mid-brain. Currently, the cause of Parkinson’s disease is unknown. However, environmental factors that decrease dopamine may cause changes in the brain that result in Parkinson’s disease.
An experienced Massachusetts mass tort lawyer will consider your diagnosis, your paraquat exposure, whether you were warned about the risks of paraquat exposure, and other factors to determine whether you have a lawsuit against Chevron Chemical Company, Syngenta, or another paraquat manufacturer.
The Cost of Living With Parkinson’s Disease
Parkinson’s disease is a progressive medical condition. Your medical needs and living expenses will change as the disease progresses. During your lifetime, you may experience Parkinson’s disease symptoms, such as:
- Slow movement
- Muscle stiffness
- Changes in posture and balance
- Changes in automatic movements, including blinking and swinging your arms while walking
- Trouble speaking with inflection or at a typical pace
- Difficulty writing
- Changes in cognitive abilities or thinking
- Emotional changes, such as depression or anxiety
- Trouble chewing, eating, and swallowing
- Sleep difficulties
- Bladder issues and constipation
- Sexual dysfunction
- Sudden drops in blood pressure
- Loss of the sense of smell
Your expenses may include past, present, and future:
- Medical costs including imaging tests, doctors’ visits, hospitalizations, surgeries, medications, occupational therapy, and other healthcare expenses
- Lost income for any wages, bonuses, raises, benefits, and self-employment income you could not earn because of your illness. You may recover for lost income if you can’t work at all or if your income is reduced because of a job change or reduced hours
- Out-of-pocket costs for things such as modifications to your home, exercise programs, and help with your activities of daily living
Additionally, you must bear the significant and often difficult to quantify costs of your physical pain, emotional suffering, and quality of life changes.
Now Is the Time to Protect Your Paraquat Recovery
Other countries, including The European Union, China, and Switzerland, have banned paraquat. The United States has not banned paraquat, and paraquat manufacturers have chosen to leave this dangerous herbicide on the market. These companies profit while you and others suffer from their business decisions.
You didn’t deserve to suffer an incurable disease such as Parkinson’s disease, but you do deserve to make a fair recovery from the manufacturers of the product that caused your condition.
The law provides you with a limited amount of time to pursue a paraquat case that will provide you with the fair recovery you deserve and discourage herbicide manufacturers from risking human life in the future.
Contact us today. Your case may make a difference for you, your family, and others like you. Our Boston area paraquat attorneys are here to help you. You don’t have to pursue legal action against a large corporation on your own, and you don’t have to worry about how to pay an attorney to represent you.
Our paraquat injury lawyers will review your claim in a free, no-obligation consultation. If you have a case against any paraquat manufacturer, we will advise you of your legal options.
You have a limited amount of time to pursue a paraquat Parkinson’s disease case. Please call us, chat with us, or complete our online contact form today to schedule your free initial consultation as soon as possible.
Are You Looking for a Social Security Disability Attorney in Boston, MA?
If you are looking to apply for social security disability, you need to speak with an experienced social security disability lawyer as soon as possible. Please contact us online or call our Natick Office directly at 888.904.6847 to schedule your free consultation.