You may have heard that paraquat has been linked to Parkinson’s disease. Now, you’ve been diagnosed with Parkinson’s disease, and you aren’t sure what you are supposed to do next.
While paraquat is one potential cause of Parkinson’s disease, it is not the only cause of this neurological condition. You may wonder whether you could have a potential paraquat injury case and whether it is worth it to contact a paraquat injury attorney.
Don’t Hesitate to Call a Paraquat Lawyer If These Two Things are True
You don’t have to know that paraquat caused your Parkinson’s disease before you contact a paraquat injury lawyer. Instead, you should contact an attorney if:
- You were exposed to paraquat. Paraquat weed killer is banned in dozens of countries but is permitted in the United States. Farmers, people who live near farms, people who sell paraquat, and people who make paraquat are at the most significant risk of paraquat exposure. You don’t have to be exposed to significant amounts of paraquat to get sick.
- You were diagnosed with Parkinson’s disease. Paraquat can interfere with dopamine production in the brain, which can lead to Parkinson’s disease. Currently, there is no one definitive diagnostic test for Parkinson’s disease. Instead, a neurologist will consider all of your symptoms and may order other tests to rule out other conditions before giving you a Parkinson’s diagnosis.
While people of any age are at risk of developing Parkinson’s disease from paraquat exposure, teenagers and young adults may face more significant risks. According to a letter from the Michael J. Fox Foundation for Parkinson’s Research to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, teens and young adults may experience a 200-600 percent increased risk of Parkinson’s disease depending on their level of paraquat exposure.
Once your doctor diagnoses you with Parkinson’s disease, your condition will be assigned one of five stages:
- Stage One: This is the mildest form of Parkinson’s disease. You may experience tremors, minor walking difficulties, and some other physical changes, but they are unlikely to interfere with your regular activities.
- Stage Two: During this stage, you may experience increased tremors, rigidity, and other symptoms that begin to interfere with your daily activities.
- Stage Three: By this middle stage of Parkinson’s disease progression, you may experience loss of balance, and your movement may slow down.
- Stage Four: Stage Four Parkinson’s disease brings severe symptoms. You may require a walker and live-in care to help you perform your daily activities.
- Stage Five: At the most advanced stage of Parkinson’s disease, you may be unable to walk and you will likely require live-in care. Psychological symptoms, including hallucinations, may develop.
You may have a paraquat lawsuit with any stage of Parkinson’s disease.
Now Is the Right Time to Get Advice From a Paraquat Attorney
If you know that you’ve been exposed to paraquat and you’ve been diagnosed with Parkinson’s disease, then now is the right time to consult with an attorney.
Our paraquat injury lawyers offer free, no-obligation consultations, so you don’t have to worry about anything. You don’t have to know whether you have a potential lawsuit. Instead, our experienced legal team will conduct a full investigation into your potential case and advise you of all of your legal options.
Since the initial obligation is free, you have nothing to lose by scheduling your meeting today. However, if you fail to take action quickly, then you could potentially lose a lot. The law provides you with a limited amount of time to file a case. If you fail to file a paraquat injury case before the statute of limitation expires, then you risk never receiving compensation for past and future medical costs, lost income, out-of-pocket expenses, pain, and suffering.
We don’t want this to happen to you. Accordingly, we invite you to call, start a live chat, or complete our online contact form today to schedule your first meeting with our Massachusetts mass tort lawyers. We can’t change your diagnosis, but we will do everything we can to protect your future.