Essure seemed like the best option for many women. Without surgery and without taking daily medication, women could enjoy the benefits of birth control. A doctor could insert two small coils into a woman’s fallopian tubes during an office visit. Over time, the coils would cause scar tissue that prevented sperm from reaching an egg and thereby prevent pregnancy.
Unfortunately, for some women, Essure caused significant health problems due to Bayer’s alleged negligence, and, for these reasons, they are now seeking legal relief.
Some of the injuries suffered by women after Essure implants were caused by:
- Migration of the coils. Women allege that the Essure coils moved out of their fallopian tubes and cut into other organs.
- Breaking of the coils. Women allege that the Essure coils broke after implant, and the broken pieces caused them injury.
- Corrosion of the coils and nickel allergies. Before July 2011, it was recommended that women be tested for nickel allergies before an Essure implant. However, the medical device maker presented studies to the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) that showed a minimal amount of nickel and the warning was removed. The medical device label was changed to indicate that Essure could be an option for women with nickel sensitivity. Yet, women with nickel allergies have suffered injuries when the Essure coils corrode and release nickel into the bloodstream.
- Corrosion of the coils and autoimmune conditions. Metal exposure may cause a dangerous autoimmune reaction.
These injuries caused severe physical pain, significant emotional suffering, unwanted pregnancies, and in some cases, death. Women who have filed lawsuits allege that their health, jobs, and marriages have suffered due to Essure injuries.
Lawsuits Claim Negligence Caused Essure Injuries
Women who suffer Essure injuries are filing lawsuits against Conceptus, the company that originally manufactured Essure, and Bayer, the company that bought Conceptus in 2013.
The lawsuits claim that Conceptus and Bayer were negligent and that their negligence caused injuries. Specifically, the women filing lawsuits allege things such as:
- Negligent training. Essure lawsuits allege that Bayer failed to provide adequate training for doctors. Specifically, it is alleged that Bayer used Essure Simulator Training rather than hands-on training and did not verify that doctors completed any training before using Essure on patients.
- Negligent consideration of adverse events. Essure lawsuits also allege that Bayer failed to notify the FDA of adverse events and failed to consider adverse events when it marketed Essure.
- Negligent failure to warn about potential problems. Essure lawsuits further allege that Bayer failed to warn doctors and patients of known risks or risks that should have been reasonably known when it marketed Essure to the public through its website and other marketing methods.
Take Action Quickly After an Essure Injury
Essure is no longer sold in the United States. However, Bayer did not admit any wrongdoing or acknowledge any safety issues when it took Essure off the market, and women who suffer Essure injuries may still pursue legal recoveries.
All lawsuits, including Essure lawsuits, must be filed before the statute of limitations expires. To protect your rights, we encourage you to contact a mass tort lawyer as soon as possible for a free and confidential review of your potential claim.
Our mass tort lawyers are committed to protecting the rights of women hurt by Essure in Massachusetts, Rhode Island, and New Hampshire. To us, you will never be just another number on a long list of women hurt by Essure. Instead, we will get to know you, and we will fight hard to get you the unique medical device injury recovery that you deserve.
You did not have all of the facts about Essure before you decided to use this form of birth control. Now, we want you to have all of the facts so that you can make an informed decision about whether to pursue legal action. Call us, or contact us via this website, to schedule a free, no-obligation consultation.