The IVC filter implanted in your body was supposed to save your life. The cage-like device was inserted into your inferior vena cava—the largest vein your body—to stop blood clots before they reach your lungs and cause a potentially deadly pulmonary embolism.
But IVC Filters Can Cause Serious Injuries on Their Own
IVC filters can move from their original placement, or they can erode. Second surgeries to correct these IVC filter problems can be complicated and dangerous, and can only be performed if people know that the IVC filter has failed. As a result, people with IVC filters are at risk of suffering injuries, including:
- Pulmonary embolisms. If the IVC filter migrates from its original location or falls apart in your body, then the blood clot can enter the lungs and cause the potentially fatal pulmonary embolism that you were trying to prevent.
- Heart attacks or other cardiac issues. If the IVC filter migrates, it can puncture the heart or lung and result in a heart attack or other cardiac issues.
- Extensive bleeding. If the inferior vena cava, an internal organ, or a blood vessel is pierced by the IVC filter, then dangerous internal bleeding can occur.
- Sepsis. If the renal vein is pierced or another part of the body is punctured then a dangerous infection, such as sepsis can develop.
- Death. Any of the conditions described above, or an injury to an internal organ or the spine, can be fatal.
Any symptoms of an injury including shortness of breath, pain, heart abnormalities, or bleeding should be promptly brought to the attention of your physician so that an accurate diagnosis can be made and an appropriate treatment plan can be developed.
Take Action If You’ve Been Hurt by an IVC Filter
If you have been hurt, or if your loved one has been killed, in one of these ways then it is important to know about your rights and to take action to protect your potential recovery. The first step in your legal recovery is to talk to an experienced IVC filter injury lawyer.
The experienced attorneys at Keefe Disability Law would be pleased to provide you with a free consultation. We represent people in Massachusetts, Rhode Island, and New Hampshire who have been hurt by Cook Medical, C.R. Bard, or other types of IVC filters.
We will investigate what happened to you, gather evidence, and advise you of your rights. If you have a claim then we will fight hard for your fair and just recovery of damages for all of your past and future:
- Medical costs. All of your surgeries, hospitalizations, medications, doctors’ appointments, and other healthcare expenses related to your IVC filter injury should be part of your recovery.
- Lost income. Any income that you could not earn, including but not limited to wages, bonuses, benefits, and income from self-employment should be part of your recovery. This includes both partially lost income and a complete loss of income.
- Out-of-pocket expenses. If you incurred expenses as a direct result of your IVC filter injury, then we encourage you to keep your receipts and to let your lawyer know about these costs so that they can be part of your settlement or court verdict.
- Pain and suffering. The physical pain and emotional suffering that you endure as a result of your IVC filter injuries may be significant and may be a large part of your financial recovery.
The pharmaceutical company that made and marketed your IVC filter is likely to put up a vigorous defense, but we encourage you not to let that be a deterrent to seeking justice.
Instead, contact us today to discuss how you can protect your rights. Your time to take action is limited by law, so please don’t delay. Call us or reach out to us via this website now to get the information that you need to make informed decisions about your future.