SSA Wounded Warriors Program Speeds Massachusetts Disability Process

We all know that the Iraq and Afghanistan wars have increased the number of military veterans in the United States. And, as with any war, the number of disabled veterans has risen as well. But how is the Social Security Administration (SSA) disability program dealing with this rise?

Injured Veterans Can Receive Expedited Benefits

The news is good for our most recent veterans. Wounded Warriors is an SSA plan to give military service members an advantage. Anyone who becomes disabled while on active duty on or after October 1, 2001, no matter where the disability occurred, can receive expedited processing of his or her disability claim.

As Boston Social Security disability lawyers, we are pleased that the SSA has taken our nation’s military heroes into account. The Wounded Warriors program offers you something very rare: faster processing in a program that is known for denials and delays.

Important Things For Veterans To Know

Here are some important things you need to know if you apply for New England SSA disability benefits:

SSA disability benefits are different from those provided by the Department of Veterans Affairs, and you must file separately. The SSA program pays benefits through two programs. The first is the Social Security disability insurance program (SSDI), which pays benefits based on your work history and the amount of Social Security taxes you have paid in. The second is the Supplemental Security Income (SSI) program, which pays based on financial need. We are dealing here with SSDI. You are considered disabled if you are unable to do substantial work and your disability has lasted or will last at least one year. You are not necessarily prevented from applying for SSDI payments if you have active duty status. SSA encourages you to apply if you are receiving military medical treatment, working in a therapy program or are on limited duty.

You can apply for SSDI any time while still in the military or after discharge. It does not matter if you are hospitalized, in a rehab program, or receiving outpatient treatment. It does not matter if you are receiving this treatment in a military or civilian medical facility.

Once your application is complete, the SSA will work hard to speed it along through the complicated channels and get your benefits sooner. 

Contact Keefe Disability Law Today

If you or a loved one has become disabled while serving in the military since 2001, you can benefit from the Wounded Warrior program. To find out more, contact a Boston Social Security disability lawyer at Keefe Disability Law. We can help you untangle the red tape of filing an SSA disability claim. Call us today toll free at 888-904-6847 for a free case review.

Keefe Disability Law proudly serves clients in Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Vermont and New Hampshire.

John L. Keefe
Connect with me
Founding Attorney, Massachusetts Social Security Disability Lawyer