No one wants to become disabled. And most of us don’t want to become reliant on the government to support us. But the reality is that many New England residents must apply for aid. Perhaps an injury, disease or other condition interrupts our life story. We must deal with it and still go on living and paying bills.
2 Types of Benefits Offered By SSA
When this happens, Social Security Administration (SSA) disability offers two types of benefits designed to help. Most people probably know more about social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI). But the second, Supplemental Security Income (SSI) is a godsend to many who qualify.
SSI is a benefit designed to provide extra monthly cash payments for people with more severe financial need. In order to qualify, a person must have low income and few resources. Also, they must be:
- 65 or more years of age or
- Blind at any age or
- Disabled at any age
SSI Income Requirements
In addition, to qualify, the maximum monthly income received must be no more than:
- $1,433 for an individual whose income is only from wages.
- $694 for an individual whose income is not from wages.
- $2,017 for a couple whose income is only from wages.
- $1,031 for a couple whose income is not from wages.
- The home you live in.
- Life insurance policies worth less than $1,500.
- Your car (most of the time).
- Burial plots or burial funds under $1,500.
Other Things You Should Know
There are a few more things you should know:
- You can collect both Social Security benefits and SSI if qualified.
- The most an individual can get is $674 a month.
- The most a couple can get is $1,011.
- If you receive SSI, you may also qualify for food stamp assistance.
- Some states add extra money to the federal SSI amount to increase the monthly SSI payment. Massachusetts is one of these states.
Are You Looking for a Social Security Disability Attorney in Natick, MA?
If you are looking to apply for social security disability, you need to speak with an experienced social security disability lawyer as soon as possible. Please contact us online or call our Natick Office directly at 508.283.5500 to schedule your free consultation.