If you have recently been diagnosed with ovarian cancer after using Johnson & Johnson’s baby powder, then your first concern may not be potential legal action against Johnson & Johnson. Instead, you want to know what your life is going to be like now.
Ovarian Cancer Symptoms
You already know how your current symptoms feel. While your disease may have been asymptomatic in its early stages, you may now be or may soon be experiencing:
- Bloating or swelling in your abdomen
- Discomfort in your pelvis
- Unexplained weight loss
- A change in your bowel habits
- Frequent urination
If cancer spreads from your ovaries to other parts of your body, additional symptoms may occur. Additionally, ovarian cancer treatments can significantly impact your health and your everyday activities.
Ovarian Cancer Treatment
Treatment for ovarian cancer may include:
- Surgery. One or both ovaries may need to be removed. Additionally, one or both fallopian tubes may need to be removed, and your uterus may need to be removed. If your ovarian cancer has spread to other parts of your body, such as your lymph nodes, then additional surgical procedures may be necessary.
- Chemotherapy. Chemo drugs may be taken by IV transfusion or as oral medications, depending on the specific prescription. Chemotherapy may be used on its own to fight ovarian cancer, or it may be used with surgery.
- Clinical trials and targeted therapies. These treatments may be used if surgery and chemotherapy are ineffective or if your cancer returns.
- Palliative care. The goal of palliative care is to improve or maintain your quality of life. Your palliative care doctors will try to reduce your pain and symptoms. This may be done with other treatments or on its own.
These treatments may leave you:
- Tired and anemic
- Constipated or with diarrhea
- Anxious and depressed
- More susceptible to infection
- With mouth or throat problems
- With muscle and nerve problems
- In pain
You may be unable to work, to take care of yourself or your family, or to do any of the things that you enjoy.
Ovarian Cancer Prognosis
Ovarian cancer that is caught at an early stage has a better chance of being successfully treated. Unfortunately, most women with ovarian cancer do not receive early diagnoses because the symptoms of this disease are so vague and so similar to other more common and benign conditions.
According to the National Ovarian Cancer Coalition, about 80% of women who are diagnosed with ovarian cancer are diagnosed at stage III or higher. The survival rate for women diagnosed at stage III or higher may be as low as 28%.
Ovarian Cancer Litigation
The impact of ovarian cancer on your everyday activities and life expectancy are your most important concerns. However, you may also have financial concerns and a desire to hold the company that is responsible for your cancer diagnosis accountable.
If you regularly used Johnson & Johnson’s baby powder on your genitals, then you may have the right to pursue legal action against the company. Other women have successfully filed lawsuits against Johnson & Johnson, and you may be able to do the same.
You can join with other women who have developed ovarian cancer from Johnson & Johnson’s baby powder in a mass tort action, and you can fight for your fair recovery of past and future medical bills, lost income, out-of-pocket expenses, pain, suffering, and other damages. Together, you and others who have been hurt can join in the expenses of discovery and litigation, but you will maintain the individual right to settle your claim at all times.
For more information about how to protect your rights in a Johnson & Johnson’s baby powder mass tort action, please contact our Massachusetts mass tort lawyers today via this website or by phone. We would be pleased to schedule a free consultation with you to discuss your rights and possible recovery.
Are You Looking for a Mass Tort Attorney in Boston, MA?
If you have been injured by dangerous drugs you need to speak with an experienced mass torts lawyer as soon as possible. Please contact us online or call our Natick Office directly at 888.904.6847 to schedule your free consultation.