When you need Social Security Administration (SSA) benefits for your dependent child in New England, you are required to provide both a birth certificate and a Social Security number. If you are like many parents, you may not be able to get your hands on both! But never fear; there are ways to get a replacement for either one.

Replacing Your Child's Missing SSA Card

To replace an SSA card for a child if you do not know the child's number will require documents proving the child's identity and citizenship. You will also need to prove your identity and relationship to the child.

If you know the child's social security number but have lost the card, it is simpler. In fact, you may not need to replace the card at all. Call your local SSA office if you are in doubt. The wait time for a replacement card is about ten days from the time they receive your request.

Replacing Your Child's Missing Birth Certificate

If you have lost a birth certificate, it may take a bit longer to get a replacement. You will need to write or visit the "Registry of Vital Records and Statistics" in the state where your child was born.

In Massachusetts, this office is in Dorchester and charges $18 if you apply in person and $28 if you apply by mail. You can find your child's birth state office information by searching for "replace birth certificate" online.

Questions About Dependent Disability Benefits?

If you are feeling confused or lost in the process of applying for dependent disability benefits for your child, the New England firm of Keefe Disability Law can help you get it all together. Call us toll free today at 888-904-6847 for a free consultation.

Are You Looking for a Social Security Disability Attorney in Boston, MA?

If you are looking to apply for social security disability, you need to speak with an experienced social security disability lawyer as soon as possible. Please contact us online or call our Natick Office directly at 508.283.5500 to schedule your free consultation.

John L. Keefe
Connect with me
Founding Attorney, Massachusetts Social Security Disability Lawyer
Join The Conversation
mary 11/18/2014 09:34 PM
I have lost my 2 children birth certificate and social security card and they have been in Mexico since 2001 and trying to bring them back from mexico and for got my little boy S's year of birth how can get that replacement and information? ??:(
Post A Reply
Post A Comment