Earlier this year, researchers at Wayne State University explained the scientific reasons why talc powder may increase a woman’s risk of developing ovarian cancer. While prior studies showed a potential link between talcum-based baby powder and ovarian cancer, this study, published in the February 28, 2019, edition of the journal Reproductive Sciences, was the first to explain why the risk exists.
How Talc Causes Ovarian Cancer
Before reaching this conclusion, the team of Wayne State University doctors and scientists applied talcum powder to test tubes of normal ovarian cell lines and cancerous ovarian cell lines. The researchers found that ovarian cancer may result from talcum powder applied to the genitals because:
- Talc encourages an oxidative state in ovarian cells. The talc caused an oxidative state in both the normal and cancerous ovarian cells. An oxidative state is a chemical imbalance which stresses cells and makes cancer more likely to develop because the number of antioxidants is insufficient to control free radicals. Epithelial ovarian cancer cells are cells that are in an oxidative state.
- Talcum powder encourages inflammation. Talc exposure significantly increased inflammation which can cause cancerous tumors.
- Talcum powder significantly increased ovarian cell proliferation, decreased ovarian cancer cell death, and increased the death rate of healthy ovarian cancer cells.
Researchers concluded that women who used talcum powder on their genitals have a higher risk of developing ovarian cancer and require special medical attention. Further studies are planned to determine if the same results occur in live laboratory animals who are exposed to talc.
Johnson & Johnson has attacked the Wayne State research as unreliable and has sought to have it excluded from consideration in court, just as it has attacked other research showing a potential link between ovarian cancer and the company’s talcum-based baby powder.
Could You Have Ovarian Cancer From Talcum Powder?
Currently, there are no preventative screenings for ovarian cancer, like there are for other cancers such as breast cancer and cervical cancer. Many women do not know that they have ovarian cancer until the cancer has spread. At this late stage, ovarian cancer is very difficult to treat effectively.
For these reasons, it is essential to make sure that your doctor knows that you used talcum powder on your genitals and report any symptoms to your doctor as soon as possible. Some possible signs of ovarian cancer include:
- Unexplained weight loss
- Abdominal bloating or swelling
- Feeling full very quickly after you start eating
- Changes in bowel habits or urination
- A general feeling of discomfort in your pelvis
Treatment options may include chemotherapy, surgery, clinical trials, and other options.
Call a Talcum Powder Ovarian Cancer Lawyer as Soon as Possible
Your first concern should be your health. However, many women with ovarian cancer have other worries as well. For example, you may wonder:
- How you will pay for medical care
- How your family will survive without your income
- How Johnson & Johnson, the company that sold you the talcum powder, will be held accountable
- How your daughters, sisters, friends, and future generations of women will be protected from this risk
The answer to all of these questions may be a mass tort case against Johnson & Johnson.
The attorneys of Keefe Disability Law know how much you have at stake. We want to help you seek justice against Johnson & Johnson so that your medical care is taken care of so that your family is financially provided for, and so that other women are safe.
If you are diagnosed with ovarian cancer after using Johnson & Johnson talcum-based baby powder and you live in Massachusetts, Rhode Island, or New Hampshire, then we encourage you to contact us for a free, no-obligation consultation. We also offer the same free consultation and trusted legal representation to families whose loved ones died from ovarian cancer after using talcum powder.
Call us today, or start a live chat with us now, to find out more.
Are You Looking for a Mass Tort Attorney in Boston, MA?
If you have been injured by dangerous drugs you need to speak with an experienced mass torts lawyer as soon as possible. Please contact us online or call our Natick Office directly at 888.904.6847 to schedule your free consultation.