Go to navigation Go to content
Toll-Free: 888-904-6847
Phone: 508-283-5500
Keefe Disability Law
Social Security Disability & Supplemental Security Income
Toll Free 888-904-6847
Call 508-283-5500
Fax 508-309-6954

How Do I Document My Heart Disease for Social Security Disability?

Blog Category:
John L. Keefe
Comments (0)

If you are unable to work because of heart disease, you might want to consider applying for Social Security disability benefits. As with any disability, your claim will depend on proper documentation of your illness and how it affects your ability to work.

To support your Social Security disability claim for heart disease you will need medical records covering at least three months of treatment. Because disability benefits are only available for those with long-term or permanent disabilities, at least three months of records must be available to show the severity and expected duration of the disease.

The records should include details of your health history, your physical examinations, any lab work or laboratory studies that were performed, and any prescribed treatment. There must be records of follow-up visits and your response to treatment, as well.

If you have not received ongoing treatment, the Social Security Administration reviewer will base his or her decision on the available evidence. However, in most cases, the criteria for approval require evidence of ongoing treatment, so your claim may be denied until you can provide records showing a minimum of three months of medical care.

There’s a chance you could be asked to wait even if you do provide three months of treatment documentation. For example, if you recently had a heart attack, you might be considered medically unstable. The reviewer may want to wait to evaluate your condition during a period of relative stability.

Dealing with the documentation needed to prove a cardiac disability can be overwhelming. The Boston disability attorneys at Keefe Disability Law can help.

Attorney John Keefe’s book The Five Most Frequently Asked Questions About Social Security Disability might answer many of your questions. If you’d like to discuss your case with an experienced New England disability lawyer, call us toll free at 888-904-6847.

Category: I Need to Apply

John L. Keefe
Connect with me
Founding Attorney of Keefe Disability Law

There are no comments.

Post a comment

Post a Comment to "How Do I Document My Heart Disease for Social Security Disability?"

To reply to this message, enter your reply in the box labeled "Message", hit "Post Message."


Email:* (will not be published)


Notify me of follow-up comments via email.