2/13/2012Applying for disability in Massachusetts can be a daunting process. The Social Security Administration (SSA) has developed many rules and guidelines for potential applicants. One set of these rules deals with work requirements. Some jobs do not earn work credits and may disqualify you.
John L. Keefe
John L. Keefe
Generally, the following work situations do not count toward your SSA work credit requirement:
- Most Federal employees hired before 1984. But also note that all Federal employees have paid Medicare hospital insurance portion of the SSA tax since 1983.
- Railroad employees with more than ten years of service.
- Employees of state and local governments who have chosen not to participate in Social Security.
- Children under age 21 who do household chores for a parent, unless a child 18 or older works in a parent-owned business.
Some jobs have special rules for earning Social Security coverage. These include:
- If you are self-employed you can earn work credits the same way as employees do. You can order the SSA Publication No. 05-10022, If You Are Self Employed, on their website for further explanation.
- If you are in the military, your Social Security credits are earned the same way as civilian employees. Also, you may get additional credits under some situations.
- Special rules exist for earning credits in other types of jobs. For instance, if you do domestic work, farm work or work for a church or church-related organization that does not pay SSA taxes, you could also qualify.
The general idea is that you can receive benefits if you have paid into Social Security; however, so many rules and exceptions exist that you may want some help.
Applying for disability in Massachusetts can be made a whole lot easier with the advice of a good New England SSA disability attorney. At Keefe Disability Law, we can guide you through the process from start to finish. Give us a call today toll free at 888-904-6847 to see what we can do to help you.
Category: I Need to Apply
There are no comments.
Post a comment
Post a Comment to "What Kind of Work Counts Toward Massachusetts SSA Disability Benefits?"To reply to this message, enter your reply in the box labeled "Message", hit "Post Message."