Meeting the Disability Listing for Borderline Personality Disorder
When you experience a mental illness that leaves you emotionally unstable and uncertain about your identity, you may suffer from borderline personality disorder. This condition can make it very difficult for sufferers to work in order to support themselves. Fortunately, the Social Security Administration does recognize personality disorders, including borderline personality disorders, in its blue book listing of impairments.
Meeting the Requirements of the Blue Book Listing for Borderline Personality Disorder
Even when a condition is listed as an impairment by the Social Security Administration, applicants still must prove that they are eligible for benefits. Qualifying for disability benefits due to borderline personality disorder requires that you show the following:
- You have a deeply ingrained inability to adapt.
- You desire to be secluded.
- You are inappropriately suspicious or hostile.
- You suffer from odd thoughts, perceptions, speech, and behavior.
- You have persistent mood disturbances
- You have intense and unstable relationships and engage in impulsive and damaging behaviors.
In addition, you must show that your inability to adapt causes at least two of the following:
- You experience episodes of decompensation. This means that you have a temporary worsening of symptoms, you lose the ability to adapt to normal stress, and you have difficulty with normal activities of daily life.
- Your daily living activities are restricted, which then disrupts your ability to function normally.
- You have difficulty functioning socially.
- You have difficulty concentrating.
Proving your disability based on a mental condition is not as straightforward as it may at first seem. Fortunately, an experienced attorney can help walk you through this process and improve your chances for success. We encourage you to contact us today for a free consultation at 888-904-6847.
4 Comments to "Disability Listing for Borderline Personality Disorder"
Post a comment
Post a Comment to "Disability Listing for Borderline Personality Disorder"To reply to this message, enter your reply in the box labeled "Message", hit "Post Message."