Monthly Payment Schedule for 2017 Social Security Disability
If you have a disability that prevents you from working, Social Security disability (SSD) benefits can be a real lifesaver when it comes to making ends meet. Unfortunately, the SSD application process can be lengthy and complex. The good news is that, in many cases, having an experienced disability attorney at your side can help expedite the process. An attorney can also go to bat for you if your application is denied.
If you've already been approved, read on to learn more about benefits schedules. If you need to learn more about applying for benefits or appealing a denial, contact us for help at 1-888-904-6847. We handle Social Security disability cases in New England.
2017 Disability Benefits Payment Schedule
The Social Security Administration has published a schedule of 2017 payments, making it easy to find out when you can expect your SSD benefit checks. You can also use your birthday to help remember when you'll receive your payments, which are scheduled to arrive on the same Wednesday each month.
- If your birthday is from the 1st to the 10th, you will receive your payment on the second Wednesday of each month.
- If you were born between the 11th and the 20th, your benefits will arrive on the third Wednesday of the month.
- If your birthday is from the 21st to the end of the month, you'll receive your benefits payment on the fourth Wednesday of each month.
- Supplemental Security Income (SSI) benefits will arrive on the first of the month.
- If your payment date falls on a holiday, the SSA will usually send the check early.
While there are some exceptions to this payment schedule, it holds true for most beneficiaries. Payment dates for 2017 for SSI and SSD are as follows:
Benefits of Having Legal Representation
When applying for SSD benefits, knowledgeable and experienced legal representation can be invaluable. An attorney may be able to help by:
- Increasing the likelihood of first-round approval. An attorney can help you complete your application in a way that clearly demonstrates your disability, as well as gather helpful supporting documentation from your doctor. Also, if your disability is terminal, your attorney may be able to help you get expedited payment.
- Helping you get approval after an application is denied. If your original application is denied, an attorney may be able to help you pursue a favorable on the record (OTR) decision by gathering additional medical information requested by the Social Security Administration (SSA), drafting a brief that clearly shows why your case meets the requirements for SSD benefits, and relaying the merits of your case to the Attorney Adjudicator.
- Representing you at an Administrative Law Judge (ALJ) hearing. If the SSA denies your OTR decision, your case will be sent before an ALJ for a hearing. An attorney can prepare you for questions you'll be asked during the hearing and choose the right witnesses to help your case.
Note that an experienced disability attorney can also help you pursue Supplemental Security Income (SSI) benefits.
Waiting for Benefits Payments After Approval
If you got a letter from the Social Security Administration notifying you that your application for SSD was approved, you may be wondering when your first benefits check will arrive.
According to the SSA, once your application is approved, it can take six months from the approval date for you to receive your first payment. However, in our experience, the SSA usually processes your benefits much faster than that. Delays can occasionally occur, however. For example, if you received Workers’ Compensation for an injury, you will need to submit your documentation to the SSA for review, which can delay the arrival of your first SSD payment.
We Can Help Your Friends and Family
When you're not familiar with the process, applying for SSD benefits can be daunting. At Keefe Disability Law, we've been helping people apply for and win SSD benefits for more than 20 years. If you live in New England and suffer from a disabling medical condition, contact our office today. Our experienced legal team is here to help you get the financial assistance you deserve while battling your health problems.