Q I applied for Massachusetts Social Security disability benefits over a month ago, but have heard nothing. How long will it take for them to make a decision?
We really do wish we had a simple answer to your question. However, there are so many variables and complexities in the SSA disability determination process, there is no such thing as a simple answer.
According to the SSA disability website, a decision on your claim will take three to five months. The site says a number of variables factor into how long it takes to decide, including:
- The type of disability you suffer.
- The length of time it takes to obtain your medical evidence.
- The possibility of sending you for an independent medical examination.
- Whether your claim is selected randomly for an internal review.
That said, there are many stumbling blocks and obstacles embedded in this seemingly simple list of variables. So, if you have questions about the process or need someone to look into your case, the SSA disability specialists at Keefe Disability Law can help. We offer:
- A free case consultation. Just call us, toll free, at 888-904-6847 or fill in the confidential form on this page to get your questions answered—free.
- Free special reports to help you understand your case, including: The Five Most Frequently Asked Questions About Social Security Disability, Seven Costly Mistakes That Can Ruin Your Social Security Disability Claim, and Unlocking the Mystery — The Essential Guide for Navigating the Social Security Disability Claims Process. Order one or all absolutely free today.