Go to navigation Go to content
Toll-Free: 888-904-6847
Phone: 508-283-5500
Keefe Disability Law
Social Security Disability & Supplemental Security Income
Toll Free 888-904-6847
Call 508-283-5500
Fax 508-309-6954

What to Show When Applying for SSDI in Boston for ALS


Blog Category:
3/7/2014
John L. Keefe
Comments (0)

Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS), also commonly referred to as Lou Gehrig’s disease, is a condition that impacts the nervous system and spinal cord. This condition typically strikes people over the age of 50. The cause of the condition is unknown, which makes it nearly impossible to detect. Only 10 percent of cases are genetic, which leaves 90 percent of cases seemingly random.

Common Disabling Symptoms of ALS

People with ALS typically experience the following symptoms:

  • Weakness
  • Muscle spasms
  • Difficulty breathing or swallowing
  • Speech impediments
  • Muscle contractions
     

There is no known cure for ALS, but the progression of each of these symptoms can be slowed using medication. Even with treatment, these symptoms can make it nearly impossible to maintain a position in the workforce.

Documenting Your Disabling Symptoms When Applying for SSDI in Boston for ALS

When submitting your application for Social Security disability in Boston for ALS, there are certain pieces of evidence you must include to be approved. Although there is a listing by the Social Security Administration for ALS, you must still provide evidence to support your application. Some items you should include are:

  • A history of your symptoms
  • Medical evidence showing neurological disorders consistent with ALS
  • Electrophysical or neuroimaging tests used to rule out other conditions
     

Getting approved for Social Security disability in Boston should be a seamless process. Unfortunately, it does not always work that way, and many people in need of benefits get denied.

If you know of someone who has been denied benefits for ALS, we encourage you to share this article with him by email or on Facebook so that he can see what medical evidence he may have missed in the initial application. Please also let your friend know that, when he is ready, we are available to help him file an appeal that will increase the chances of being approved for the benefits he needs.



Category: I Was Denied

Labels:
John L. Keefe
Connect with me
Founding Attorney of Keefe Disability Law

There are no comments.

Post a comment

Post a Comment to "What to Show When Applying for SSDI in Boston for ALS"

To reply to this message, enter your reply in the box labeled "Message", hit "Post Message."

Name:*

Email:* (will not be published)

Message:*

Notify me of follow-up comments via email.